The Evolutionist

The Evolutionist - Rena Mason Stacy Troy is having nightmares of a world destroyed. When the exhaustion gets to be too much, she starts secretly seeing a psychiatrist, Dr. Light. His treatments help, maybe. They're no question that they at least make things different. Stacy's nightmares set up the dominos, Dr. Light starts knocking them down, and we won't see what intricate pattern they make until the very end.

I'm not sure what to think of this book. I can say that I'm pretty sure I liked it and that I'm sure I didn't dislike it, but I'll have to get back to you in a month on whether it stuck with me as a book I would recommend.

In the case against it, the book is written in first person, present tense which I dislike in general, but wan't the worst here since the protagonist, Stacy Troy, is neither obnoxious, pop-culture obsessed, nor snarky

My expectations weren't so much thwarted as subverted. That's my fault (and marketing, but probably not the author). I expected, based on the blurb and cover, something downright gory. Instead there were some gory scenes, but they served the story in a thematic way that was interesting.

Among the things that I liked were the interludes of regular life for Stacy. Don't get me wrong, I can't stand novels that revolve around groups of chicks reading, shopping, and dealing with unfaithful spouses. But just because that isn't enough to spark my imagination normally doesn't mean that I don't enjoy it on occasion while mixed in with my fantasy/science fiction/horror (I'm never sure where to classify novels with elements of all of those).

Writing this review, I've decided that I like it. It won the Bram Stoker Award for best first novel for 2013 and I'll be on the lookout for what Rena Mason writes next.